The following is a list of English-speaking population by country, including information on both native speakers and second-language speakers.
- The European Union is a supranational union composed of 28 member states. The combined total English-speaking population (2012) is 256,876,220 (out of a total population of 500,000,000, i.e. 51%) including 65,478,252 native speakers and 191,397,968 non-native speakers, and would be ranked 2nd if it were included. English native speakers amount to 13% of the whole Union population, while the percentage of people that speak English "well enough in order to be able to have a conversation", either as first (32%), second (11%) or third (3%) foreign language, was 38%.
- When taken from this list and added together, the total number of English speakers in the world adds up to around 1,200,000,000. Likewise, the total number of native English speakers adds up to around 350,000,000. This implies that there are approximately 850,000,000 people who speak English as an additional language.
- EF English Proficiency Index
- English medium education
- English-speaking world
- List of countries where English is an official language
- World Englishes
- Geographical distribution of French speakers
- Raymond G. Gordon, Jr. (ed.), ed. (2005). "English". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (Fifteenth ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. ISBNÂ 1-55671-159-X. Retrieved 2006-03-17.Â
- Eurobarometer report â" Europeans and their languages, February 2006 (pdf). Only includes EU citizens aged 15 and above.
- Eurobarometer report â" Europeans and their languages, June 2012 (pdf). Only includes EU citizens aged 15 and above.
- Crystal, David (2003). The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language (Second ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. p.Â 109. ISBNÂ 0-521-53033-4. Retrieved 2006-07-20.Â