Events from 1988 in Scotland
- Monarch â" Elizabeth II
- 26 Aprilâ"26 September - Glasgow Garden Festival. Bell's Bridge is built in connection with it.
- 6 July - Piper Alpha disaster oil rig in the North Sea explodes and results in the death of 167 workers.
- 7 August - Scotland on Sunday newspaper launched.
- 2 November - The Housing (Scotland) Act 1988, receives the Royal Assent.
- 10 November - Scottish National Party win Glasgow Govan by-election from Labour with a swing of 33%.
- 21 December - Pan Am Flight 103 explodes over the town of Lockerbie, Dumfries and Galloway, and kills a total of 270 people - including all 259 on board. It is believed that the cause of the explosion was a terrorist bomb.
- 7 January - Alan Lowing. footballer
- 12 April - Harry McShane, socialist (born 1891)
- 26 August - Oscar Marzaroli, photographer (born 1933 in Italy)
- 1988 in the United Kingdom