Events from 1980 in Scotland
- Monarch - Elizabeth II (since 6 February 1952)
- 16 April - Glasgow Subway reopened to passengers after a 3-year modernisation project.
- 1 May - Scottish District local elections result in big gains for the Labour Party.
- 7 May - Aberdeen F.C. secures the Scottish Football League Premier Division championship.
- 26 June - The Glasgow Central by-election is held, with Labour retaining its hold on the seat despite a swing of 14% to the Scottish National Party.
- 1 August - The Education (Scotland) Act 1980 receives the Royal Assent.
- 4â"5 September - Margaret Thatcher becomes the first serving Prime Minister of the United Kingdom to visit Shetland.
- 13 September - Hercules, a bear which had gone missing on the island of Benbecula while filming a Kleenex advertisement, is found.
- 6 October - West Highland Way opened as the first of the official Long Distance Routes for walkers in Scotland.
- 9 October - Gloagtrotter of Perth, trading as GT Coaches, begins operation of an express coach service from Dundee to London as The Stage Coach, origin of the Stagecoach Group.
- 13 November - Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 1980 decriminalises private homosexual acts between two consenting persons aged over 21 in Scotland.
- 12 May - Andrew Abercromby, biomedical engineer
- 6 July - Kenny Deuchar, footballer
- 15 September - Chris Clark, footballer
- 20 November - Malachy Tallack, journalist and folk rock musician
- 19 February - Bon Scott, Australian rock singer (born 1946 in Scotland)
- 29 February - Margaret Morris, choreographer (born 1891 in London)
- May - Isla Cameron, actress and singer (born 1930)
- 23 June - John Laurie, actor (born 1897)
- 6 December - Margot Bennett, crime novelist (born 1912)
- 13 December - R. D. Low, comics writer and editor (born 1895)
- Hector MacAndrew, fiddler (born 1903)
- 19 February - Scottish Television begins to air the soap opera Take the High Road.
- Spring - Bearsden post-punk band Orange Juice release Falling and Laughing, the first release on the Postcard Records label.
- Alexander Moffat paints Poets' Pub.
- Buxton Orr composes A Caledonian Suite.
- 1980 in the United Kingdom