Events from 1970 in Scotland
- Monarch â" Elizabeth II (since 6 February 1952)
- 21 January â" Fraserburgh life-boat Duchess of Kent, on service to the Danish fishing vessel Opal, capsizes with the loss of five of the six crew.
- 19 March â" South Ayrshire by-election: Jim Sillars retains the seat for the labour party.
- 24 May â" The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of St Luke in Glasgow is raised to this status.
- 18 June â" UK General Election: Labour wins in Scotland with 48 MPs out of the 71 available, but the Conservatives win a majority across the UK. The SNP wins its first MP elected at a General Election.
- 26 June â" The Kingston Bridge, Glasgow, is opened.
- 16â"25 July â" The 1970 British Commonwealth Games are held in Edinburgh.
- 7 October â" BP announces the discovery of the massive Forties Oil Field in Scottish waters.
- Hepatitis B outbreak in Edinburgh.
- Blair Drummond Safari Park is opened.
- 10 May â" David Weir, international footballer
- 19 July â" Nicola Sturgeon, Deputy First Minister of Scotland (2007 - )
- 21 August â" David Hopkin, footballer
- 17 December â" Stella Tennant, model
- 25 May â" Tom Patey, mountaineer (born 1932), died in climbing accident
- 13 June â" John Nicholson, footballer (born 1888)
- 1970 in the United Kingdom