This is a list of goat breeds. There are many recognized breeds of domestic goat (Capra aegagrus hircus). Goat breeds (especially dairy goats) are some of the oldest defined animal breeds for which breed standards and production records have been kept. Selective breeding of goats generally focuses on improving production of fiber, meat, dairy products or goatskin. Breeds are generally classified based on their primary use, though there are several breeds which are considered dual- or multi-purpose goats, so there is some crossover between lists.
- List of sheep breeds
- List of cattle breeds
- List of domestic pig breeds
- Ekarius, Carol (2008). Storey's Illustrated Breed Guide to Sheep, Goats, Cattle and Pigs. Storey Publishing. ISBNÂ 978-1-60342-036-5.Â
- "Goat Breeds". Breeds of Livestock. Oklahoma State University Dept. of Animal Science.Â
- Introduction to Common Goat Breeds Mother Earth News
- Raising Goats for Dummies (Wiley, 2010)