Dogs have been selectively bred for thousands of years, sometimes by inbreeding dogs from the same ancestral lines, sometimes by mixing dogs from very different lines. The process continues today, resulting in a wide variety of breeds, hybrids, and types of dog. Centuries of selective breeding by humans has resulted in dogs being more genetically diverse than most other mammals by a considerable margin. As such, dogs are the only animal with such a wide variation in appearance without speciation, "from the Chihuahua to the Great Dane".
The following list uses a wide interpretation of "breed". Breeds are usually categorized by the functional type from which the breed was developed. The basic types are companion dogs, guard dogs, hunting dogs, herding dogs, and working dogs, although there are many other types and subtypes. Breeds listed here may be traditional breeds with long histories as registered breeds, rare breeds with their own registries, or new breeds that may still be under development.
In some cases, a breed's origin overlaps the boundaries of two or more countries; the dog is normally listed only in the country with which it is most commonly associated (for example, by its designated country according to the FÃ©dÃ©ration Cynologique Internationale (FCI). Some dogs, such as the LÃ¶wchen, have an uncertain origin and are listed under several countries.
Â§List with classification and standards
- List of police dog breeds
- Category:Extinct dog breeds
- Alderton, David (September 2008). Encyclopedia of Dogs (Hardcover). Bath: Parragon Inc. p.Â 384. ISBNÂ 1407524380. ISBN 9781407524382.Â
- Coile, D. Caroline (April 1, 2005). Encyclopedia of Dog Breeds: Profiles of More than 150 Breeds (2nd ed.). Barron's Educational Series, Incorporated. p.Â 368. ISBNÂ 9780764157004.Â
- De Prisco, Andrew; Johnson, James B. (1993). Canine Lexicon. T. F. H. Publications. p.Â 886. ISBNÂ 3-929545-60-8. ISBN 978-3-929545-60-9,.Â
- De Vito, Dominique (September 1, 2005). World Atlas of Dog Breeds (Print) (6th ed.). Neptune City, NJ Lanham, MD: TFH Publications, Inc. Distributed in the U.S. to the Bookstore and library trade by National Book Network. p.Â 960. ISBNÂ 0793806569. ISBN 978-0793806560.Â
- DK Publishing (July 15, 2013). The Dog Encyclopedia (Hardcover) (1st ed.). DK Adult. p.Â 360. ISBNÂ 1465408444. ISBN 978-1465408440.Â
- Wilcox, Bonnie; Walkowicz, Chris (March 1995). Atlas of Dog Breeds of the World (Print) (5th ed.). Neptune City, NJ: TFH Publications, Inc. Distributed in the U.S. to the Bookstore and library trade by National Book Network. p.Â 912. ISBNÂ 0793812844. ISBN 9780793812844.Â